Saturday, August 25, 2007

A Late Summer Face Lift

The early morning sun peeked through my window blinds beckoning me to rise this morning. It was only 6:00, but something inside said it was time to greet the day. I climbed out of bed and poured myself some cereal, which I enjoyed while sitting on my front step. The clouds slowly turned a pretty gold tint, but the real sunrise was hidden by the trees. It is the perfect time of day, a time which I seldom get to enjoy. I was able to read my Bible without feeling rushed to get ready for work or to get the house cleaning done. But I did notice, while sitting there, that my flower gardens are looking very sad... There are no more flowers and no buds showing promise of late summer blooms. Just dried out stalks and crunchy old flowers. My little flower garden needs a late summer face lift. I know it is just a small garden without much space for big perennials, but a few fall flowers would be nice. Especially since I so enjoy flowers in my garden. I suppose I'm looking for some suggestions or a book to borrow that has many good ideas in it. You might think that I've got too much to do already, seeing as I'm seven months pregnant and all that, but I'm still plenty able to look at flower books and even plant a few bulbs or plants... Any ideas??? I would love a garden that was full of blooms all season long, even if that is impractical.

7 comments:

Rachel said...

I still have flowers, but when they are getting tired I like to buy mums. They come in so many beautiful fallish colors! I will soon be putting them in the baskets on my front steps. Maybe you need to get some too! If you plant them in the ground they will come back the next year, but they don't usually flower until late summer....just when everything else is dying!

Michelle-ozark crafter said...

Why not some mums and fall flowering crocus? Very lovely. Check out White Flower Farms online they have the crocus.

Anonymous said...

How nice. I always love mornings like that.I really miss our windows being in the basement.Most days I have a hard time getting up without seeing the sun.

judi/Gmj said...

Mums the word.... and the flower I would chose also.

Martha said...

This is the reason I like to plant a few annuals. Marigolds are pretty all through the summer and way into the fall (if you keep them watered and deadheaded...). Otherwise... well, you know... mums.

My black eyed susans are still looking pretty. Maybe you could pick up some of those for next year.

Shelly said...

I know NOTHING about flowers or gardening so I'll keep mum about it!

Heather said...

I have to agree with the mums. They always look so nice and fallish.