Tuesday, October 10, 2006

A Selfish Motive

There is no need to fear.

The barn sale went okay. I think it could've gone better because there are still things in the barn that ought to have gone. I am realizing that I am very selfish. Why else would I want to keep an old rickety desk that I picked up off the side of the road? I hadn't touched it a year, don't have room for it in my house, and probably wouldn't ever find time to fix it up nice. I had put it in the sale with a tag saying $20. Our neighbor came by and saw it and decided to bring her friend by (who refinishes things and fixes 'em up nice) to see it. When I heard this. I wasn't so sure I wanted to part with it. I put a sold sticker on it and waited. Sure enough they came back and the lady liked what she saw. We explained I wasn't so sure that I really wanted to sell. She said I could think on it and she would be back. Why am I so selfish? Well, they came back the next day and I gave in to their barters. $27 dollars for the desk, some tiki torches (with oil) and an old motor. They would come back later with their money. (Who goes to a barn sale intending to buy something, but doesn't bring any money?) They didn't return that evening and I was tempted to take the desk and run for it. But I didn't. The couple did finally come on Sunday for their desk, tiki torches and old motor. Ah, God is good to relieve me of those worldy things that just weigh me down. Anyway, there will always be other cool, old stuff on the edge of the road for me to pick up.

If you need any dishes, go to Mom's house. She has two sets of them for sale in the barn. And two dressers and a few end tables... and some clothes... and two bikes. And more! We should have another sale.

4 comments:

Rachel said...

Wow, you do have lots of stuff left! I just took a set of dishes to Goodwill the other day. I never have enough patience to have a sale of my own. I guess I just never know if it's really worth it, to sit in the driveway for 2 days to make fifty bucks. (if I'm lucky!)

Martha said...

Yard sales can be fun to do if you do them with a friend (or a daughter) but a good attitude is essential! My attitude was exceptionally poor (sorry Beth) due to the fact that there is so much work involved AND I didn't want to give up my weekend. (I wanted to go to Angelica instead.)

Anonymous said...

It can be hard to let go of things. I have a real problem with it. I save every little scrap of this and that. I finally have learned to let go of some of it but man it is hard!

Bethany said...

Yeah... It's good to let go sometimes. And yes, it is hard!!!