Monday, June 23, 2008

To Forgive? Or Not to Forgive? That is the Question.

There is nothing terribly interesting going on these days. Well, nothing really worth blogging about. Except for Josh. He's been crawling about like crazy and pulling himself up. It inspires me to keep my floors swept, mopped and/or vacuumed. Which is good, since I would rarely mop my floor beforehand.

Hmm. I decided that forgiveness is one of, or rather is, God's greatest blessing. Yesterday I had a very yucky day and Adam and I treated each other pretty much like garbage all day long. It wasn't any fun and neither one of us can blame the other entirely. Fighting always make me feel very poorly and I am so glad that, at the end of the day, we can both say, "I'm sorry." God made marriage to be a blessing. He intended for two people to come together and be servants to one another. Helping, lifting up and caring for the other above themselves. And when one is being selfish and or lazy (I'm talking about myself here) things can get messy. Without God's example of forgiveness, how are we to know how to forgive anyone? I am so grateful for the unending love of Christ and how it is demonstrated. If we didn't have His example, how would we know how to forgive those who have hurt or offended us? Faithful to God's example, Adam forgave me for being a yucky jerk and I forgave him for being a yucky jerk. We can now put our yucky ways behind us because we've forgiven each other and Christ has forgiven us. We can have a fresh start. The love and forgiveness of Christ is what hold the two of us together. Of course we love each other, but what I am saying is that the love of Christ binds us together. He doesn't leave us to fend for ourselves. Adam and I are weak and without having Jesus' love in our hearts, we would be unable to forgive each other and where would that put us? So, you see why I am so thankful for the gift of God's forgiveness. It really is great.

Upsi-daisy... Josh is awake and because I love him, I leave you to fend for yourselves, so that I may fend for him.

4 comments:

Martha said...

Do you love us too? Of course you do. I guess we are a bit more able to fend for ourselves than Josh is.

I'm glad you are able to forgive. Life isn't much fun otherwise.

Rachel said...

I'm glad you were able to forgive each other too!

Heather said...

Forgiveness is such a hard and incredible thing. You are right. I am so thankful we have such an amazing example of forgiveness in Christ.

Wanda said...

Oh my how many times Don and I have forgiven each other in 47 years....It's a great word...