Tuesday, April 07, 2009

How to Outwit Your Offspring: 101

Lunchtime at my house: I feed Josh his fruit cocktail. I know he doesn't like it, so I am prepared. I feed it to him before his mashed potatoes and chicken. He closes him mouth. "No," he says, shaking his head, his little defiant voice still having an edge of cuteness in it's rebellion. How can my son be so obstinate at such a young age? He swipes his hand at my second attempt to get a piece of fruit into his mouth, landing the peach onto the floor. I get out my angry eyes. He shakes his head. I smack his flailing hand. A piece of pear lands on the floor. I mix his fruit cocktail into his mashed potatoes. Oh, sweet victory... Now on to the chicken. Cut into little bits, the chicken is very manageable for a small boy with all his teeth. But still, defiance raises it's ugly head. After one bite, it is quickly decided that chicken isn't very palatable today, even though just days before it was the most delicious. A miniature mass a chewed chicken comes oozing out of Joshua's mouth. Any spitting of food deserves a little smack on the lips, but still defiance and rebellion. Stubborn child. But, once again, a moment of inspiration. I open the fridge, grab the bottle and squirt ketchup over the once denied chicken. Wonderful! Ketchup will now be a household staple. That chicken was gobbled up with delight. Two points for Mom on this quiet day at home.

3 comments:

Elena said...

Good work mom!
I sense my little girl shall have a suborn disposition, if her parents have anything to do with it.

Martha said...

Once upon a time there was a 1 1/2 year old girl who was decidedly against any green colored food, especially peas. Broccoli though, was readily accepted once slathered with cheese sauce.

Rachel said...

I'm glad you found a way, you're quite creative!