Thursday, September 30, 2010

An Apple Ooops

Pies, pies, and more pies. I am currently having a fundraiser for a trip I am going on in February. The trip involves a plane, a far distant country, Compassion International and meeting someone special. Needless to say, I am so excited that God has opened this door. (!!!!!) So I am selling homemade pies to help raise the necessary funds. Apple pies, pumpkin pies and a very limited amount of select other pies. I have received permission to sell my pies at church on Sunday and they will be sold for $10 a piece. My Mom, Hannah and I make a very good pie-making team. We can make 10 pies in three hours, if we all work together. Last Saturday, we made nine apple pies. Wednesday we made ten apple pies. (I have yet to do any pumpkin.) So now my freezer is full of pies. Delicious, delectable, marvelous apple pies. Well, most of them anyways... So, you see... Wednesday, when we were making pies, we were on such a roll that, well, I forgot to put flour in with the apple filling. So, yeah. Some of my pies will be runny. The filling will not set up as nicely as it should. And they will be less than most wonderful. I will not be able to sell them for $10 with a good conscience... Maybe for $5, but not for $10. And I realized all of this because of Josh. See, he was trying to be helpful and as I was bringing my things into the house after a big pie-making party at my Mom's, he took a pie out of the trunk of my car. I came out of the house just in time to see him juggling the pie as he tried to balance it in his arms. First it was sideways, then it was upside down, then it was on the ground. I guess this was his way of getting an apple pie for himself... Anyways, this pie ended up being baked and eaten as dessert that evening. Adam commented on it's runniness, which I attributed to it being cut while still warm. But then I got to thinking... I can't believe I left the flour out! What a stupid, moronic, amateur thing to do! I mean, I have been making pies since... Well, for a really long time... Good grief. At the very least, those nine pies could be saved for any special occasion that may happen in the next several months. And I thought we were doing so well!

5 comments:

Martha said...

It was going along great, wasn't it? And it was fun too. I am willing to bet you a runny apple pie that next time we can do 12 pies in three hours!

(I suggest you save the runny pies for the up and coming celebrations. Dave's birthday (2), your birthday (2 more), Women's prayer breakfast (2), Josh's birthday (2-3),... See? They'll be used up in no time.)

Anonymous said...

Beautiful pies Beth!! I bet you were quite disappointed to forget the flour.Don't feel bad though, I have been making biscuits for years also and one night forgot the Baking Powder which you know is a very important ingredient in Biscuits.

Jessica said...

What a great idea to sell pies for money for your trip - can't wait to hear more about this trip Mrs. Mysterious Woman :)

Priscilla said...

I am buying at least one pie. When can I get it (them).

Martha said...

I'd venture to say I could get some to you next Saturday when we go out together.