Monday, May 30, 2011

It's All Thumbs


It started with a spin on the computer chair and a fall onto the floor. After a bit of crying and a brief inspection, a kiss seemed to heal the ailment and the day went on. It was a warm morning, and Josh spent most of it outside running through the sprinkler and watching his Daddy clean the car. The earlier occurrence all but slipped my mind until lunch time. He was exceptionally crabby and tired, which I attributed to the late night storm which kept us all awake last night. I helped him wash the lunch off his face and then from his hands. When I grabbed his right hand and wiped it with the cloth, he put up quite a fuss about his thumb. It was now quite swollen and purple around the joints. Could it be broken? At this point, Josh was so tired that even if it was broken it would have to wait. So I wrapped it in a make shift splint and put him in bed. A couple hours later he woke up in pain, and since it was Memorial Day, I took him up to Urgent Care. He was so good and brave. They took X-rays, which showed a possible small fracture. Because they couldn't determine whether it was fractured or not, we have to follow up at Orthopaedics tomorrow. Tonight Josh called me into his room so I could look at his thumb. It must have been throbbing, poor little fellow. It is currently in a splint to help keep it from moving. I guess we'll know tomorrow whether it is actually fractured or not.Will they put it in a cast if it fractured or only if it was broken?

Can you see which thumb is bigger? You can't see the bruising in this photo, but it is there. He's such a brave kid. :)

4 comments:

Heather said...

Aww, poor Josh!! Cheney broke his thumb once. They put a sort of cast on it to keep it stable. I hope it is feeling better today broken or not!

Martha said...

A fracture is a break, so if it is fractured then it is broken. Either way it looks really painful. I hope they finally answered the phone for you over there at orthopedics.

Martha said...

What is the red ring around his wrist? Is it just from the swelling?

Bethany said...

Adam put a rubber glove over his splint when he took a shower. It was too small.