Friday, November 21, 2008

Those Good, Old Shoes


I am saying good-bye to some old friends. They are too old and worn out for me to keep them any longer, though they have comforted me many times when I was tired or aching. I had grown to love them like they were a part of me. Those old, lovable shoes... They have treated me well, but now they must go. The soles are worn thin, very thin, and the rain and snow often gets too friendly with my socks because of it. My toes are beginning to peep through the sides and the backs are being worn out too. I already have a new pair of sneakers waiting for me in my closet, but for some reason I am having a hard time letting go of these. My feet feel so at home inside these shoes... They fit "like a glove"... Please, won't you come and do the deed for me? I'm afraid I won't be able to say good-bye. Those good old Payless shoes.

6 comments:

Jessica Morris said...

aww - I totally understand. This summer I got rid of an embarrassing amount of shoes that should've gone AGES ago!

To change your profile picture:
when your logged into blogger go to your profile (I get to it through my blog) and then it should say "edit profile" and then there should be the option to change profile pic :) Hope that helps!!

Martha said...

Some of our favorite clothes really are like good friends, close, comfortable, and always there. Sadly, they do get old and eventually need to be retired.

I can't wait for the day when Jesus gives me clothes that will fit perfectly and never wear out! (Just think of how comfy those Wilderness Clothes must have been for the Children of Israel.)

Sherri said...

I don't think I could even do the deed for you after that warm eulogy. Is Adam tough enough?

Rachel said...

I seem to get attached to things too, like the nightie that I wore when I was 4 and still wore after I was married. I finally ditched it because Uncle Dave didn't like it, but later I wondered why I didn't just keep it since I had had it for most of my life.

Wanda said...

Have you thought about a shadow box and mount them.... famous joggers do it.... They might look good on your wall. I hate giving up comfortable things. I wore one skirt till it was falling off of me....
Bet your new ones are real nice..

Anonymous said...

I was too attached with my first pair of running shoes..! Those were very durable. Just got a new pair from Payless.