Wednesday, May 05, 2010

The Blessing of Rain

The great outdoors was beckoning me this evening. There were dark clouds looming over the western horizon. My lettuce plants and asparagus were waiting patiently to be put in the ground. It was the perfect time. The cool of the evening was refreshing as I took out my shovel and began to dig. I needed a trench about twelve feet long for my asparagus. The clouds began to roll in as I placed the tender roots in the earth. The cool wind picked up as I decided where to mound the dirt into rows for my arugula, lettuce, and Brussels sprouts. I mixed in composted manure into the ground for each individual plant. I reminded myself of an old man I had often heard about as I growing up. He was a farmer, a gardener through and through. He worked in his garden no matter what the weather: sun, rain, sleet or snow. My Great-Grandfather. His love for plants and dirt has managed to be passed down through the generations and I just can't keep my hands out of the dirt either. As I finished my last row of plants, the rain drops began to fall. The darkness of the evening had also crept in, nearly catching me unaware. I scurried to get my tools put away before the clouds unleashed their fury into the night. I had accomplished what I had set out to do. And now the gentle rain would water the earth and it's tender plants throughout the night. Praise the Lord for his blessings.

Joel 2:23 Be glad then, ye children of Zion, and rejoice in the LORD your God: for he hath given you the former rain moderately, and he will cause to come down for you the rain, the former rain, and the latter rain in the first month.

1 comment:

Martha said...

I think you may have gotten a double dose of green thumb as both my Great Grandpa Shafer and Great Grandpa Hooper were gardeners. One grew vegetables and "Didn't know enough to come in out of the rain," and the other had the most beautiful rock gardens in the city of Rochester. If they cut themselves, I'm fairly certain they bled green.