Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Dog Vomit Mold

Remember my post about all my strange bugs? Well I can now add slime mold to my list. My garden beds have now become a bed to, not only my flowers, but "Dog Vomit" Mold. That is actually it's common name and very similar in appearance. This particular slime mold can often be found growing in garden mulch. It starts off on day one with a beautiful golden yellow color (yes, I just called mold beautiful), before fading to a nasty muted brown color. The mold really is hideous looking (even if it is a beautiful color at first) but after doing some simple research, they say that it isn't harmful to anyone or anything. With the exception being the looks of my garden. I read there is absolutely nothing I can do to get rid of Dog Vomit Mold, so I might as well just deal with it, get comfy with it's appearance and leave it be. I tried washing it away last week, but it just popped up elsewhere. Oh, those nasty little molds and fungi...

4 comments:

Martha said...

One never knows what kind of post will pop up here. Yes, it does look like "Beth's Garden" in growing. You are always putting a smile on my face. Guess I'll pass on the mulch.

Did you see this site? http://www.personal.psu.edu/sam21/dogvomit.htm

Bethany said...

Yes, that's the site I saw... And that's exactly how the mold looked at first.

Glad to hear that mold can put a smile on someone's face...

Wanda said...

I thought it was a snail crawling up the tree...

True....you post is always an adventure...

Jessica Morris said...

still waiting for that cvs post ;)