Thursday, July 07, 2011

The Crazy Wheel of Life

I was told that life is like a wheel, with it's ups and downs. Gotta say, this week has been totally like a wheel. I know that God is at work in my life, but I wish He would would just hurry up, cause His work hurts. It's a good thing that He has balanced His work with some wonderful things along with it. Like Jim is in town this week. And my Gramanita is here from Nova Scotia, for the first time since Adam and I got married. And Leta will have a new baby any day (or hour?). So I have been spending a lot of time with my immediate family and at my parent's house visiting with the family. There is a wonderful sense of community when I go home. Something about not being alone, having someone to share burdens with- even if it is help folding laundry, working together and loving together. I am one of seven kids, so I feel most at home surrounded by people. I'm not much for being alone. I guess you might say that it gets a little lonely around my house. Adam goes to work, comes home tired, and goes to bed early. I miss having time spent with each other, whether it is playing a game together, reading together, going for a walk, or sipping tea while sitting on the deck together. I think quiet time spent together is important and healthy in a relationship and when those quiet times don't happen, a relationship can suffer. I think both of us are to blame here. I fill up my evenings with activities that take me out of the home and away from my family. It's not that I don't want to put my family first, it's just that somehow I want to do other important things too. Before I know it, my weeknights are filled with just snippets of time left for those who really matter most. How do I fix it? How do I make sure that Adam and Josh know that they are the most important to me, with the only exception of Jesus Christ? And then how do we make sure that we have enough Glue (Jesus) in our marriage to keep it strong? Take the "Glue" and time spent together out of a marriage and what you have left is a crazy spinning wheel, careening towards the cliff's edge. And that is the story.

5 comments:

Rachel said...

Yikes! You and Adam need a little romantic getaway. Uncle Dave and I are heading up to Niagara on the Lake this weekend. We are staying at a bed and breakfast and will see a show at Shawfest Theater tonight (My Fair Lady). Tomorrow we will enjoy some horseback riding in the afternoon. I think you and Adam need to do the same.

Martha said...

If only a romantic getaway was the answer to life's frustrations, eh?

Wanda said...

Martha, how true...it's hard work every day ~ this marriage thing. I know...50 years of experience and we still need to find time to REALLY communicate. It's so easy to make statements to each other or ask questions, like "Did you turn the coffee pot off?" When we long for questions that start out "What do you think....how do you feel" Something we all work on, Yes???

Heather said...

Oh beautiful Bethany Ann, you are such a smart wife to see that things are not quite right and take steps to make them better. You are paying attention to the things that are so important in your life:-) I also think it is a great idea for you and Adam to spend more time with much older couples;-)

Wanda, you are so right. It does not matter how long you have been married, it takes lots of work!

Anonymous said...

I love all the comments - praying for you, Bethany. Cindy