Monday, October 08, 2007

This is Why

This week is my last week of work before taking off to have my baby. I always wanted to be a stay-at-home Mom, but have opted go back to the restaurant one day a week starting sometime in December. I think it'll be a good time to let my Mom and sister borrow the baby for a few hours. But the real reason I don't want to quit entirely is not because of the money or wanting to get out of the house, but because of people like these folks. There is a small group of people who come in every Tuesday for lunch. They usually consist of a little old lady, her son, and son-in-law and, on occasion, her daughter. Sometime over the weekend said son-in-law and his wife, Mr. and Mrs. H, left me and baby a card. It's a home made, computer printed card, and extra special because inside is a poem that is just for me. It goes as follows:

When you get to be an old folk,
And your hair is thin and gray,
You'll appreciate the young folk
Who really make your day.

It's often that the little things
They don't know that they do,
Are just the things that tip the scales
To brighten and renew.

We'll miss your smile and winsome ways
And special friendly service,
Remembering to way back when
You started and were nervous.

We'll wait for introductions
To your special new addition
And hope that you'll be back one day
To continue our lunch tradition.

Warm wishes to you and your new baby
and to all your family.

Your customers (and friends)

They also left me a little gift card, but it was the words inside that made my day and brought tears to my eyes. Being a waitress in the little town that I grew up in, has been such a great experience. The job may have it's challenging days (like any job), but is so rewarding because of all the friends I have made. They may not be the friends that you call up and ask to go to the movies or to the mall, but people who look for you and greet you with a smile and a friendly hello. Gray hair doesn't matter anymore and if you walk slower than usual, I don't mind. If you come with a smile, or even if you don't, as long as you have some extra time on your hands (unlike the busy lunch rush who come in for a quick lunch and are back out to work) and don't run right out the door, chances are we might get to be friends. My favorite time of the day is the last hour and a half or two, when the regular afternoon visitors come in for coffee or a late lunch. This is the time when it is slow enough for me to eat my lunch and visit with these cherished guests. The guests who come in looking for someone to chat with or someone with a smile just for them. They might ask for help with the daily cross word puzzle or tell you about the latest news. These are the reasons why I can't leave for good. I may not be there so often, but at least I don't have to say good-bye for good. I don't like to say good-bye.

8 comments:

Heather said...

What wonderful new friends! I know that you touch so many people with your warm way as you waitress and serve them.

When my Dad was recovering from his brain injury and we started to go out to lunch, it was those waitresses who had time to talk and get to know us that made him feel so special and enjoy going out so much. Thank you for all you do for those people!

Michelle-ozark crafter said...

That is so sweet!

Rachel said...

Reading those words and knowing they feel about you brought tears to my eyes too. You are such a sweetheart to consider going back to brighten these people's days some more...and to share your little one with his/her grandma, aunt, and uncles. The one day a week at gramma's house will be good for the baby too!

Shelly said...

AWWWW!! What thoughtful customers you have... course they have a thoughtful waitress too! I bet gramma's thrilled to watch your little one. She needs another little one in the house cuz all of hers grew up.

Anonymous said...

Your Grama and Grampa, Your momma, Your Aunts, Your Poppa, Your brothers and sister..and all the grand folks in your world are soooo much richer for knowing you...you see...You come from amazing stock..you have an incredible family and super terrific friends and customers. So you see it is soooo true, what goes around comes around. It pays to have an open heart and mind and treat folks as you would want to be treated..and you do, and you deserve to be treated at the very least, as good as you give. And my dear Bethany, you so deserve the very best life has to offer! Respect...t'is a wonderful thing.

Martha said...

This one brought tears to my eyes too. God has given you a special gift in your ability to love and relate to people of all ages. Thank Him for it and keep smiling and loving those people He has put in your path.

Oh yeah, and bring that baby over so we can love him/her up for you!

Anonymous said...

well well well little Miss Bethany or perhaps I should say Mrs. Bethany. You are going to have that baby soon and your life will change forever. You will have a precious blessing from our Lord. I am so happy to read about your life and how much you have grown. About your kitty that pees in the basement, is he neutered? By the way, getting him neutered now if he is not will probably not change his behaviour. Is he having blockage problems? Alot of cat foods that you buy at the grocers or Walmart do not contain what a cat needs and male cats will tend to get crystals in their urinary tracts causing them blockage, but long before the blockage occurs there are signs that this may happen. Check what you are feeding your cats, Iams in the orange bag is good, also the vet has many different expensive brands that will alleviate this problem. Male cats do tend to have blockages Bethany, be careful if you come home and your cat is in the litter box alot or peeing little bits around the house, or you notice him squatting to pee but not doing so, rush him to the vets as fast as you can, it is easy to unblock, if you do not the result will be the loss of your male cat. By the way, this sometimes happens in female cats, but it is not as common! I love you and thank you for letting me unload some of my knowledge .. all that is in my head makes my brain heavy! I love you, Barb

judi/Gmj said...

Awwww...(sigh) Ya made me miss my hometown.